- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Your pet is scheduled for an upcoming surgery, procedure, and/or a dental cleaning at our clinic. The following is a list of pre-operative instructions and guidelines that will need to be followed:
- Withhold food from patient after 10:00 p.m. the evening prior to surgery. Do not feed anything, including treats the morning of surgery.
- Pre-anesthetic blood work is recommended for all patients. This allows us to evaluate blood cells, liver, and kidney functions, as well as their ability to process the anesthetic drugs. This may be done the day of surgery, or up to a week in advance of the procedure. Pre-anesthetic blood work is required for any animal younger than 4 months of age and any animal deemed as a geriatric pet at our clinic.
- If your pet has recently had puppies/kittens, they should have stopped nursing their babies for two weeks prior to surgery. The babies should be between 6 and 8 weeks of age and eating and drinking on their own prior to spaying the mother. If they are still attempting to nurse, even minimally, surgery will be postponed until they have stopped.
- Never use any over-the -counter (bought from grocery/feed store, etc.) flea/tick products on patients 2 weeks before the day of surgery. This includes dips, powders, flea collars, and/or topical ointments.
- Patient should be given any heartworm prevention as normal, regardless of surgery date.
- Check-in time is 7:15 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. - No surgery patients will be accepted after 8:45 a.m. If patient is late for any reason they will have to be re-scheduled and your deposit will be forfeit. Another deposit will be required to re-schedule.
- If we do not have current proof of a rabies vaccine on file a rabies certificate is required (a rabies tag is not an acceptable proof of rabies vaccine). If adequate proof is not provided by 10:00 a.m., a rabies vaccine will be administered to your pet at your expense. If you would like to have your prior veterinarian fax records to us, our fax number is: (281) 200-2328.
- If you have prior vaccine or pertinent information for your pet from a previous veterinarian, please fax it to our clinic at least 24 hours prior to your appointment so that we may update your pet's information (Fax #: (281) 200-2328). If you are unable to fax the information to us, please have it with you the morning of your appointment.
- Mandatory: All dogs must be on a leash! If you do not have a leash, one may be purchased in the clinic for a minimal fee. Dogs not on a lease will not be allowed into the clinic. Cats must be in THEIR OWN carrier – CARRIER MUST BE IN WORKING/FUNCTIONING CONDITION. If you do not have a carrier, or need additional carriers, they may be purchased in the clinic for a minimal fee. Cats not in a carrier will not be allowed into the clinic. All feral or very fractious cats must be in a humane trap - these patients will be refused for surgery if brought in any item other than a trap. Transferring a fractious/feral cat in the clinic from a carrier to a trap WILL NOT ALLOWED!
- Surgery patients are seen on a first come, first serve basis. We do not have a basic drop off process. You will check in at the front desk and wait to be seen by a technician. Expect to have a wait time of at least an hour to complete the check in process. To help cut down on wait time, please have the appropriate form(s) listed below filled out completely – prior to check in. If you are working with a rescue group, ask the group for a copy of the necessary forms.
- for spays/neuters and general surgery.
- for any pet having only a dental cleaning done.
- for any pet having dental and spay/neuter procedures
- Please keep in mind that surgery pick-up time will be between 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. WE WILL NOT GUARANTEE A SPECIFIC OR REQUESTED PICK-UP TIME. Our clinic closes at 5:00 p.m., and no animal will be allowed to remain overnight. If for any reason you do not pick your pet(s) up by 5:00 p.m., late fees will apply for each pet. Our technicians will need approximately 10-15 minutes to go over post-operative instructions with you so we recommend you be here no later than 4:45 p.m. to pick-up your pet(s). Please keep this information in mind and make necessary arrangements if need be as patients not picked up by 5:30 p.m. will be considered abandoned.
- Should you need to re-schedule or cancel your appointment, 24 hours advanced notice is required. If 24 hour notice is not given, a No Show/Sufficient Notice Not Given Fee will apply. This charge will be the same amount that was charged for your surgery deposit (deposit is forfeit). Our clinic accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Debit cards, and cash only.
- Any animal showing signs of illness (contagious or not) will be refused for surgery until properly treated by a DVM of your choice. Proof of treatment (if not done at KAAWS clinic) will be required before surgery can be re-scheduled. This also applies to animals who are currently on antibiotics - surgery will be refused until antibiotics are finished. Please contact us if you have any questions about any of these policies.
*IF THESE DIRECTIONS ARE NOT FOLLOWED, IT IS LIKELY YOUR PET WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR SURGERY AND YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE FORFEIT, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-SCHEDULE.*
*PLEASE NOTE THAT SURGERY CHECK IN TIME DIFFERS FROM OUR CLINIC BUSINESS HOURS. THIS MEANS OUR PHONES WILL NOT BE ON UNTIL 9:00 A.M. - PLEASE TAKE TIME TO GET PROPER DIRECTIONS TO OUR FACILITY PRIOR TO YOUR SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT - IF YOU ARE LATE FOR ANY REASON, YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE FORFEIT AND YOUR PET(S) WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.*
*ALL SURGERY APPOINTMENTS MUST PAY THE REQUIRED DEPOSIT TO SCHEDULE - IF A DEPOSIT HAS NOT BEEN PAID, NO APPOINTMENT HAS BEEN MADE, AND YOUR PET WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR SURGERY.*
*PLEASE FILL OUT THE REQUIRED FORMS AND BRING THEM WITH YOU THE DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT!*
*PLEASE FILL OUT THE PATIENT QUESTIONNAIRE WITHIN 24 HOURS OF SURGERY AND/OR DENTAL APPOINTMENT! THIS PAPERWORK MUST BE BROUGHT IN THE DAY OF SURGERY; IT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED ANY SOONER*